Fujifilm has announced the X-H2S, a high-end stills/video APS-C mirrorless camera. It’s built around a stabilized 26MP Stacked CMOS sensor that lets it shoot at up to 40 frames per second with full AF. It can also shoot 4K video at up to 120p in a wide range of codecs.
The X-H2S uses its fast-readout sensor and new X-Processor 5 chip to add subject recognition AF (Humans, Animals, Trains, Planes, Motorbikes, Cars and Birds), and more sophisticated AF tracking even with subject-detection disengaged. This combines with the ability to shoot at up to 40fps and a buffer that allows up to 184 JPEG or 175 Raw files at this fastest rate, and over 1000 JPEGs or 400 Raw images at 15fps using its mechanical shutter.
On the video side of things the X-H2S can capture DCI or UHD 4K at up to 60p using the full width of its sensor to give footage sampled from 6.2K width. It can also shoot 3:2 6.2K footage using its entire sensor area or 4K at up to 120p from a 1.29x cropped area. Footage can be recorded in a choice of 8-bit H.264, 10-bit H.625 or ProRes 422HQ, 422 or 422 LT with the option of ProRes Proxy capture in parallel. 4K at up to 120p can be output over HDMI or a Raw stream for encoding as ProRes RAW or BRaw using external recorders.
A new F-Log2 mode utilizes 14-bit sensor readout to deliver greater dynamic range (up to 30p). There’s also the option to add a screw-on external cooling fan unit that extends the camera’s recording times in warmer conditions.
The X-H2S offers image stabilization rated at up to 7EV and a weather-sealed magnesium allow body that includes a headphone socket, full-sized HDMI port, USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10Gbps) port and a top-panel OLED display. There’s a new 5.76M dot OLED viewfinder that can run at up to 120fps, and a fully-articulated 1.62M dot rear LCD.
An 18-120mm F4 power zoom lens has been launched alongside the camera, as has a 150-600mm F5.6-8.0 super-tele zoom.
The Fujifilm X-H2S will be available from early July at a recommended price of $2499.
We’ve looked in more depth into the X-H2S and the capabilities it brings in a hands-on, in-depth initial review:
Fujifilm Introduces X-H2S Mirrorless Digital Camera
New flagship camera features enhanced still and video capabilities
Valhalla, N.Y., May 31, 2022 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation today announced the launch of its next flagship X Series mirrorless digital camera, FUJIFILM X-H2S (X- H2S). The most advanced X Series mirrorless camera yet, X-H2S includes advanced features for both still photography and video. It is also the first APS-C digital camera of its kind to feature Fujifilm’s 26.16MP X-TransTM CMOS 5 HS imaging sensor, a stacked, back-side illuminated imaging sensor with a signal reading speed up to four times faster than Fujifilm’s previous X-TransTM CMOS 4*1.
X-TransTM CMOS 5, combined with the newly minted X-Processor 5 (which doubles the camera’s processing power compared to X-Processor 4), greatly enhances overall image fidelity at lower ISOs and reduces noise at higher ISOs. Subject-detection AF, which maximizes the tracking speed and accuracy of moving subjects is now made possible through the incorporation of an AI processor.
For video, X-Processor 5 enables the recording of 10-bit 4:2:2 video in resolutions up to 6.2K/30P and frame rates as fast as 4K/120P and FHD/240p. Support for professional codecs, like Apple ProRes HQ/ Pro Res 422/ Pro Res LT, provide incredible flexibility within post-production workflows, while also minimizing power consumption, thereby extending the camera’s maximum video recording time up to 240 minutes.
“The universal reaction to X-H2S has been, ‘This is exactly what I’ve been waiting for!’ The overwhelmingly enthusiastic response reinforces my belief that X-H2S will be the versatile, hybrid digital camera that can meet the diverse needs of photographers and motion production professionals,” said Victor Ha, vice president, Electronic Imaging and Optical Devices Divisions, FUJIFILM North America Corporation. “It’s fun to see so much enthusiasm for this camera, especially since the features it has aren’t normally found at a price point of only $2499.95.”
With these sensor and processor updates, X-H2S achieves substantial performance improvement over other digital camera models on the market, including:
- Major boost to burst mode capability: X-H2S can apply AF / AE tracking in blackout-free continuous shooting conditions of up to 40 frames per second*2, and can create over 1,000 frames continuously with the high-speed burst shooting mode set to 30 frames per second (JPEG) or 20 frames per second (RAW)*3
- Dramatically evolved autofocus (AF) performance: X-H2S’s high number of AF calculations performed per second improves overall AF accuracy and facilitates subject-detection AF. Developed with Deep Learning technology, subject-detection AF implements an advanced prediction algorithm to enhance the performance of Zone AF, by refining the camera’s ability to track moving subjects in low-contrast environments. Subject detection and tracking has also been expanded from the human face and eyes to now include animals, birds, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, airplanes and trains. X-H2S keeps targeted subjects consistently in focus, allowing users to concentrate on framing and critical image-making opportunities.
- Exceptional video performance: X-H2S digital camera supports internal recording of 4:2:2, 10-bit Apple ProRes HQ/ ProRes 422/ ProRes LT and ProRes 422 Proxy at resolutions of up to 6.2K/30P and 4:2:2, 10-bit h.265video in frame rates as fast as 4K/120P and FHD/ 240p. The sensor’s readout speed of 1/180 seconds when recording video further assists in minimizing rolling shutter effects on moving subjects, or when the camera itself is moving. A heat-dissipating design brings the 4K/60P continuous video recording time to approximately 240 minutes, while the optional FAN-001 cooling fan accessory assists with maintaining similar levels of performance in high-temperature conditions.
- Significant flexibility for external recording: X-H2S is the first X Series digital camera to contain F-Log2, which provides a dynamic range of up to 14+ stops, allowing for more creative possibilities both in production and post-productionworkflows.
Additional Product Features:
Best subject tracking in X Series history
- X-H2S controls phase-detection pixels independently from image display when in burst mode. This triples the number of calculations in phase detection from the acclaimed FUJIFILM X-T4 and enables high-speed focusing even during high-speed continuous shooting.
- X-H2S’s electronic viewfinder uses a high-resolution, 5.76-million-dot panel with a magnification of 0.8x. With a frame rate of approximately 120fps, the smooth viewfinder offers stellar visibility as a result of strong suppression of parallax and distortion (which commonly occurs when an eye position becomes displaced while using the viewfinder), thereby enabling accurate subject tracking.
Thoughtful design to enhance users’ content creation experience
- The camera features an all-new five-axis, in-body image stabilization mechanism, which offers up to 7.0-stops of image stabilization*4. Users can comfortably choose to operate the camera handheld in active environments (e.g., sports) or in low-light conditions (e.g., nightscape).
- X-H2S incorporates the popular design features of Fujifilm’s previous X-H1 model, such as a large grip that works well with large lenses, an LCD display on the top panel for users to check settings at any time, and a highly-robust body that withstands heavy professional use. Many additional improvements have also been included in the design and construction of X-H2S:
- The shutter button’s overall feel has been adjusted to improve its operability when it is half-pressed. This allows users to release the shutter exactly when intended.
- A standalone video recording button has been added to make the experience of recording video with the 1.62-million-dot, vari-angle LCD monitor a seamless experience.
- From the fit and finish of the buttons and materials used in the construction of X-H2S to being able to map specific functions to the AF ON button, image-makers will find the experience of using X-H2S intuitive and familiar. Shutter durability has been optimized, withstanding 500,000 actuations during quality and performance testing.
- The camera features dual memory card slots supporting one CFexpressTM Type B and one SD card*5. Users can draw out the full potential of X-H2S’s fast, continuous image-making and video performance with the high-speed data processing performance of CFexpressTM Type B memory cards.
Several new accessories are also being introduced to complement the launch of X- H2S. These optional accessories include:
Vertical battery grip (VG-XH)
- Dust- and moisture–resistant and is designed to operate at temperatures as low as 14 degrees Fahrenheit (-10 degrees Celsius). It fits two FUJIFILM NP-W235 high-capacity batteries.
- The grip’s button layout is designed to provide equal operability whether holding the camera vertically or horizontally.
File transmitter (FT-XH)
- Features wired LAN connectivity and high-speed wireless communications capability, essential for in-studio tethered content creation or for creating sports/media content. It can also be used as a vertical grip using two FUJIFILM NP-W325 high-capacity batteries.
- It can be combined with X-H2S to support the following communication specifications:
- FTP transfer by wired LAN / wireless LAN / USB Smartphone tethering
- Tethered shooting by wired LAN / wireless LAN
- Remote recording function by wired LAN / wireless LAN; capable of controlling up to four X-H2S cameras from a browser at the same time
Cooling fan (FAN-001)
- Specifically designed for the X-H2S to facilitate extended image creation and video recording in high temperatures.
- The fan can be fitted to the rear of the camera body without a cable, supplying power, extending continuous video recording time at high temperature, and eliminating concerns of heat-related camera shutdown.
Cover kit (CVR-XH)
- Protects various terminals on the camera. Items contained in this kit:
- 1x Sync terminal cover
- 1x Hot shoe cover
- 1x File transmitter / vertical battery grip terminal cover
- 1x Cooling fan terminal cover
- 1x Memory card slot cover
Pricing and Availability:
FUJIFILM X-2HS mirrorless digital camera is expected to be available in early July 2022 at the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $2,499 USD and $3,200 CAD.
Pricing and expected availability for X-2HS accessories are as follows:
VG-XH Vertical Battery Grip: Available early July 2022 at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $399 USD and $515 CAD.
FT-XH File Transmitter: Available in September 2022 at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $999 USD and $1,280 CAD.
FAN-001 Cooling Fan: Available early July 2022 at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $199 USD and $260 CAD.
CVR-XH Cover Kit: Available early July 2022 at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $19.99 USD and $26 CAD.
For more information about X-H2S and its accessories, please visit https://fujifilm- x.com/en-us/products/cameras/x-h2s/.
*1 In comparison with the X-TransTM CMOS4, carried in the current camera model
*2 Applies to high-speed continuous shooting conditions without viewfinder black-out (i.e., with photographer still able to view the subject). AF / AE tracking in these conditions is only available when using the electronic shutter.
*3 Performance based on a cold start, when using the electronic shutter.
*4 When mounted with the FUJINON XF35mmF1.4 R lens
*5 See the Fujifilm website for a list of verified compatible cards.
Fujifilm X-H2S Specifications
|Body type||SLR-style mirrorless|
|Body material||Magnesium alloy|
|Max resolution||6240 x 4160|
|Image ratio w:h||1:1, 3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||26 megapixels|
|Sensor size||APS-C (23.5 x 15.6 mm)|
|Color space||sRGB, Adobe RGB|
|Color filter array||X-Trans|
|ISO||Auto, 160-12800 (expands to 80-51200)|
|Boosted ISO (minimum)||80|
|Boosted ISO (maximum)||51200|
|White balance presets||7|
|Custom white balance||Yes (3 slots)|
|Image stabilization notes||Some lenses limited to 5 stops of correction|
|CIPA image stabilization rating||7 stop(s)|
|JPEG quality levels||Fine, normal|
|Optics & Focus|
|Autofocus assist lamp||Yes|
|Number of focus points||425|
|Lens mount||Fujifilm X|
|Focal length multiplier||1.5×|
|Screen / viewfinder|
|Articulated LCD||Fully articulated|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Viewfinder magnification||1.2× (0.8× 35mm equiv.)|
|Minimum shutter speed||30 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/8000 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed (electronic)||1/32000 sec|
|External flash||Yes (via hot shoe or flash sync port)|
|Flash X sync speed||1/250 sec|
|Continuous drive||40.0 fps|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±5 (2, 3, 5, 7 frames at 1/3 EV, 2/3 EV, 1 EV, 2 EV steps)|
|Format||MPEG-4, H.264, H.265|
|Storage types||1x CFexpress Type B, 1x UHS-II SD|
|USB||USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10 GBit/sec)|
|Wireless notes||802.11b/g/n + Bluetooth|
|Remote control||Yes (via smartphone or wired remote)|
|Battery description||NP-W235 lithium-ion battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||580|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||660 g (1.46 lb / 23.28 oz)|
|Dimensions||136 x 93 x 95 mm (5.35 x 3.66 x 3.74″)|