At first, playing PS5 games on a PS4 may sound a little backward. Surely it’s the current-gen hardware that should be running PS4 software and not the other way around? Though that’s logical thinking, Sony has developed features called Share Play and Remote Play that make it possible to play PS5 games on PS4 and PS4 Pro systems. This can come in useful for those who don’t have access to a PS5 due to lack of stock or budget, or those who want to access their own PS5 from a different location. Here’s how to play PS5 games on PS4.
How to play PS5 games on PS4 or PS4 Pro
To play PS5 games on a PS4 or PS4 Pro, players have to make use of Remote Play or Share Play. These methods make use of streaming to send the PS5-powered game feed across to PS4. This feed can be interacted with using the PS4 DualShock controller, allowing PS4 owners to effectively play next-gen games through their last-gen hardware!
How to play PS5 games on PS4 with Share Play
- First, load into the game you’re looking to share access to.
- The PS5 owner must press the Share Button on their controller.
- They must then select “Go to party for Share Play” followed by “Give controller to visitor.”
- The PS5 owner can then give control to the PS4 user (or start a multiplayer match, if that option is supported by the game.)
- The PS4 user can then control the PS5 game while watching the game stream on their PS4.
Note: PlayStation Plus is required by the PS5 owner for Share Play to work.
How to play PS5 games on PS4 with Remote Play
- First, ensure that Remote Play is enabled in the PS5 System settings menu.
- On the PS4, it’s time to boot the “PS5 Remote Play” app found on the home screen.
- Go through the process and connect the systems by providing the given code.
- Once linked, the PS5 can either be left on or put into Rest Mode.
- The PS4 can now use the “PS5 Remote Play” app to boot up the PS5 and play games through a video stream.