For some, putting their PS5 to sleep after a gaming session is sub-optimal. They don’t want their console to be in a “standby mode,” and they don’t care about updates downloading while they’re away. When they turn their PS5 off, they want to be completely and fully off. That means no distracting glowing orange light and no loud spinning hard drive. Thankfully, it’s perfectly possible to turn the PS5 off completely, both with and without a DualSense controller. Here’s how it’s done.
How to turn PS5 off completely with DualSense controller
To turn the PS5 off completely with a DualSense controller, users must:
- Press the PlayStation button on the controller.
- Scroll across to the power icon on the far right.
- Press X on the power icon.
- Select “Turn Off PS5” to turn the system off completely.
How to turn PS5 off completely without a controller
To turn the PS5 off completely without a DualSense controller, users should:
- Locate the two buttons on the front of the PS5.
- Press and hold the left button until the second beep.
- Remove your finger from the button and wait.
- The PS5 will now turn off completely.
It’s worth noting that if you only hold the button for one beep, the PS5 will go into rest mode. From here, users will need to power the console back up in order to turn it off fully.
By turning the PS5 off completely, users forgo any game or system updates and the ability to charge their controller while the system is sleeping. However, they may save on electricity, and shutting the system down entirely can be good practice if consistent power isn’t guaranteed.